September 17, 2012

It's a Book!

10 1/2 Things No Commencement Speaker Has Ever Said
Charles Wheelan

I heard Mr. Wheelan in an interview on MPR (take a listen here) and immediately logged onto the library website and reserved this book. Even though I'm five years out of college (gah!) it was a nice refresher to back in those days of "I'm-Setting-Out-On-An-Adventure" and before work begins to suck away your soul. As I quick read the book (it's about a 45 minute read) I found myself nodding along. Yes - the friends from high school and college are some of the most important people in my life. Yes - that year after college I spent "interning" was one of the best decisions ever ... no need to settle down in a 9 to 5 right away. Yes - some of your worst days lie ahead (but so do some of your best). His last little nugget stuck with me and made this book a must-read, even for those well out of college: "Don't try to be great. Just be solid."  (A gem of a saying he got from this guy.) Too often we get caught up on the big and the great and the famous and the mighty ... but when it all comes down to it ... just be yourself, be solid!

No comments:

Post a Comment